Skip to main content

KOREA 2016

First holiday with my brother and the 9 days were absolutely memorable, albeit went by too quickly. As the saying goes, time flies when one is having fun. Indeed. It may not have been as epic as my 2014 Easter Europe escapade, but this trip was significant in strengthening the sister-brother bond. As much as having 2 trips in succession has its toll on my bank account, I don't feel that a single cent was wasted. 


Great help to have!
On our way to Jeju & the wind was crazy!


There were many highlights in this trip but I'm just going to put down the Top 5:

#1: MT HALLASAN HIKE via Eorimok Trail


Summary of our unforgettable hike in winter. 
One of the many breathtaking scenes that welcomed us during the trek. 

We weren't even sure if we were able to complete the 3hrs trek & catch the last bus as there's a cut-off time period and limited shuttle service during winter. But God truly knows the desire of our hearts and upon reaching the visitor centre of the nature reserve, we were so hyped up. We reached at 10am, as what we planned to, and we knew we had enough time to finish the entire trail. The ascent was an uphill task, with slippery grounds and we weren't in the most appropriate hiking gear, unlike the many locals who were also doing the trek. But we made it within the 3hrs time frame and the aching calves and sweaty shirts were totally worth it as the landscapes that greeted us at different points of the hike were truly captivating. We saw snow-capped mistletoe trees, luscious greenery interspersed with what's remaining of the autumn season and the fact that we didn't know what to expect next was enough to just keep us going. At the rest point, we ravished a hot bowl of ramen each and it was brunch with a spectacular view. The descent took less than 2.5hrs and we completed the entire trail by 2.47pm. That feeling of satisfaction was simply indescribable. I believed Benji enjoyed every moment of it as much as I did! I was glad I did a hike with the lil bro!

#2: JEJU FOLK VILLAGE MUSUEM

Good decision on the bro's part to focus on this village for our 2nd day in Jeju and it was truly a fulfilling outing. There wasn't a mad crowd at the museum and at times, we felt like we were the only visitors! We had the time and space to explore every nook and cranny of the entire place, tried out some traditional activities and goofed around. 4hrs went by just like that. The disappointment was that we didn't get to see the outdoor performance as stated in the website. But that aside, it was an eye-opening experience and it was surreal to be on site the filming grounds for some of the mega classic Korean period dramas like "Jewel in the Palace" (大长金). 



Epic dramas!


#3: DMZ-JSA TOUR (Seoul)

Balanced our trip with a historical tour to understand more of the context behind the tension between North and South Korea. The drive through the DMZ showed us how tough it is to be based there to watch guard; there's basically no entertainment whatsoever and it was stretches of barren land with no inhabitants. It was like revisiting some scenes in Descendants of the Sun :) And yes...we drove past the site that was used for the filming of DOTs. The guides were candid and it helped to make the journey more enjoyable as some of the political issues can get rather heavy. Having said that, this tension still exists and those deployed to serve their military duties here really gets my utmost respect. No one ever knows what can trigger an attack and in fact, they are still uncovering many landmines in the DMZ area. Living life on the edge it is. 






#4: FOOD...GLORIOUS FOOD!
No trip can ever be complete if food is not in the picture! In our 9 days there, we were treated to an assortment of side dishes, piping hot stews, and their kimchi never fails to whet our appetites. We were never once sick of eating kimchi! We made a point to try out the local delicacies that we know cannot be found easily in SG. As for the street food, Myeongdong seemed to be the one that struck the right chord with us. We thoroughly enjoyed the simple fares we had at the numerous traditional eateries we chanced upon. Nothing we ate disappointed us. Either we are too good at choosing our food or Korean cuisine is simply just mind-blowing! 


Black chicken ginseng soup
Soondae stew - blood sausage and pork innards
Myeongdong's goodies
Jumbo Castella Bread - simply fantastic!

Kimchi stew that really hit the sweet spot!
Kalguksu - handmade noodles in seaweed broth. Never knew something so simple can taste so heavenly. 

Tonkatsu that wins any pork cutlet hands down!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

Sitting down in front of the computer and listening to 'All The Earth' for the 10th time. Its Anais's off day and we have been trying to upload our pictures onto Facebook. I've got my Day 1 up but poor Ana, still trying to get hers up! Have been in Cambodia for 5 days and returning to Singapore on thursday. Previously, time seem to snail by but as I browsed through the pictures taken of the past few days, I realised that its not that slow after all. Coming to Cambodia this time was different. Was supposed to lead a team to LIA but ended up not because of lack of preparation time and inadequate response. Anyhow, I just felt I should make a personal trip up to see for myself the work at LIA and sense what God is doing in this land. Prior to the trip, I've been reading about Cambodia's news and they just appear everyday in the papers. Well it can't be more clear than this so I went. Followed Anais as she goes to and fro the b oys' & girls' home to t

Breather

Back from a Sec 3 level camp in JB, Tanjung Piai. Thought I could have the week's off to clear my brain's cache and prepare my lesson plans but alas...I'm down for ODAC camp and sec 4s' oral exam mock practice! When can I have my breather???? Sometimes I wonder whether returning to a familiar place is good for me after all. I'm like on the 'Wanted' list for this committee, that committee, this event, that event etc. Not that I'm popular or high-in-demand, its just that I'm nicely available. I'm not usually mindful of taking on responsibilities. Its just that during these 10 weeks, I reckon is a crucial component of my NIE understudy and I am not wanting to settle for something less in my planning (although i really hate lesson plannings!). But I'm so stretched! I feel like screaming: " GIVE ME MY SPACE!" To say the least, I'm feeling stressed. Most unfortunately, I'm not given the option to say 'No'. Not until I get

Eat....Laugh....Be Merry!

Anais and myself finally satisfied our craving for chilli crab...after 2 weeks! YESSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.........:) happy happy! Together with Ben, Brian and my sis, we headed to Sembawang to indulge in some seafood delicacies that included huge cereal prawns and stingray. It was also a form of celebration for Anais who graduated not too long ago! You bet we were so stuffed after that! Anais still wanted ice-cream after the meal but we were already max. out in terms of stomach's space and capacity. Yummy food was of course the highlight but what was more memorable was the company. First time hanging out with Ben and Brian and it turned out to be a hilarious time! Good food eaten with 'happening' people makes it even more tasty. I treasured this time of fellowshipping as I got to see a different side of people and getting to know them better. More of such makan sessions is good for bonding! Singaporean leh..:) From left: Ben, Jasmine (sis), me, Anais and Brian Happy we went, tota