Skip to main content

Wo(Man) of the hour

As I read the tribute to the late Dr Goh Keng Swee, I can't help but feel this profoundly deep admiration for this immensely brilliant forefather of Singapore.

I was in awe of his contributions and how his influence is so pervasive in modern Singapore, yet so few actually heard and know of his legacy. The more I read on about what people remembered of him and his long list of accolades, the more proud I am to be a Singaporean.

I never knew places of interests like our zoo, bird park and even Sentosa were his ideas! These are just a tiny fraction of his contributions. My gosh....it was just an incredible discovery and I was hooked to the Saturday's Special edition on 'Remember Dr Goh Keng Swee'. Strangely, my heart was pounding as I read and later reflected on this titan's life. Instinctively, a question came to mind i.e. will there be another titan like Dr Goh, Mr Lee KY, Mr Wee Kim Wee or the other members of the Old Guard in my generation?

Will I get to see one emerge in my life-time?

Almost immediately, I gave an answer : "NO!". Pessimistic? Cynical? Maybe. But I just feel that as the era of our forefathers is about to come to an end, the next era to come will not be as illustrious as it was. More talented young people yes...but less resillient to hardship and hard work. Shall I also say...less humble.

That is just me.

But I came across this excerpt by Mr J.Y Pillay that gave me a glimmer of hope. He said this: " It will be a long time bfore another like him (Dr Goh) turns up. But, perhaps, Dr Goh was a man for the hour, and the needs of the hour have changed."

Yeah...the needs of the hour have indeed changed. The people of today are just a different breed but there's so much truth in the last statement. As the needs of society have evolved, so must the leadership of the nation. For better or worse, there must be individuals who are found worthy to answer the needs of the hour isn't it?

There and then, I felt challenged and inspired. Like a moment of eureka! I may not be as intelligent or far-sighted as many of those in the Old Guard, but if I can have their tenacity, steadfastness and commitment, I might just fit the bill to be the woman of the hour, should my time come. Need not be ultra-significant role to be impactful. Many of our great leaders left the scene as quietly and simply as they came. Yet when they are being recognized, the impact is far-reaching and will be fondly remembered by many for a long long time.

I do hope I am not the only one who feels this way. I pray many more of my peers and the younger generations to come can really see the gems that our forefathers have left behind and not be like fools who just walk past, failing to recognize the treasures that are very much our inheritance. Its surely time to wake up from our myopism and really start thinking and dreaming big.

What a great legacy many have left behind. Will we waste it and let it just be another thing of the past or will we be determined to carry it on?

I hope I can get the answer in my life time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

Sitting down in front of the computer and listening to 'All The Earth' for the 10th time. Its Anais's off day and we have been trying to upload our pictures onto Facebook. I've got my Day 1 up but poor Ana, still trying to get hers up! Have been in Cambodia for 5 days and returning to Singapore on thursday. Previously, time seem to snail by but as I browsed through the pictures taken of the past few days, I realised that its not that slow after all. Coming to Cambodia this time was different. Was supposed to lead a team to LIA but ended up not because of lack of preparation time and inadequate response. Anyhow, I just felt I should make a personal trip up to see for myself the work at LIA and sense what God is doing in this land. Prior to the trip, I've been reading about Cambodia's news and they just appear everyday in the papers. Well it can't be more clear than this so I went. Followed Anais as she goes to and fro the b oys' & girls' home to t

Breather

Back from a Sec 3 level camp in JB, Tanjung Piai. Thought I could have the week's off to clear my brain's cache and prepare my lesson plans but alas...I'm down for ODAC camp and sec 4s' oral exam mock practice! When can I have my breather???? Sometimes I wonder whether returning to a familiar place is good for me after all. I'm like on the 'Wanted' list for this committee, that committee, this event, that event etc. Not that I'm popular or high-in-demand, its just that I'm nicely available. I'm not usually mindful of taking on responsibilities. Its just that during these 10 weeks, I reckon is a crucial component of my NIE understudy and I am not wanting to settle for something less in my planning (although i really hate lesson plannings!). But I'm so stretched! I feel like screaming: " GIVE ME MY SPACE!" To say the least, I'm feeling stressed. Most unfortunately, I'm not given the option to say 'No'. Not until I get

Eat....Laugh....Be Merry!

Anais and myself finally satisfied our craving for chilli crab...after 2 weeks! YESSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.........:) happy happy! Together with Ben, Brian and my sis, we headed to Sembawang to indulge in some seafood delicacies that included huge cereal prawns and stingray. It was also a form of celebration for Anais who graduated not too long ago! You bet we were so stuffed after that! Anais still wanted ice-cream after the meal but we were already max. out in terms of stomach's space and capacity. Yummy food was of course the highlight but what was more memorable was the company. First time hanging out with Ben and Brian and it turned out to be a hilarious time! Good food eaten with 'happening' people makes it even more tasty. I treasured this time of fellowshipping as I got to see a different side of people and getting to know them better. More of such makan sessions is good for bonding! Singaporean leh..:) From left: Ben, Jasmine (sis), me, Anais and Brian Happy we went, tota