Skip to main content

A BRAND NEW START

A brand new post after 2 years to jot the milestones of 2018 - a year in which I embarked on a brand new journey in my career.

Jan - June: Basic Instructor Training (BIT)

What a deceiving term! It wasn't at all basic! Many times during the course of the training I found myself questioning if I did the right thing to make a switch. It has been such a long time that I felt so inadequate and I realised that feeling of incompetency can be what deters people from stepping out to try something new. It didn't help that every Friday was an assessment of the modular we had to go through during the week. It was literally CONTINUAL ASSESSMENT!

Nevertheless, I bit the bullet and hung onto the promise and hope that all these too shall pass!




Some snapshots to mark the grueling trainings that turned us from "zero to hero". Needless to say, our skin colour also changed.

July - Sept : Co-Instructions & Assessment

Plunging into the life of being an instructor during the 5days observation and subsequent co-instruct phase plunged me into a serious state of dissonance. It wasn't the physical drain that got to me but the mental and emotional fatigue of having to manage so many aspects at the same time.

During my 1st Co-Instruct with Dylan, I nearly called time-out on the very night when we had a very cold and dreary night at Jelutong. I will never forget how lost I felt at that moment. That week was such an important wake-up call for me to realise that I'm no longer operating as a teacher in a school. What I assumed I was doing ok or at times excellent in school wasn't the case now. I felt so crushed and plenty of self-doubts for sure.

But such an important and timely realisation. I'm thankful that I had to endure such a hard heart lesson.

My 2nd Co with Jacob was slightly more manageable but still the dissonance was great and I still felt so overwhelmed by the many things that I had to adapt to before the assessment the following week. Throughout this time, the one thought that kept bugging me was "what if I fail the assessment?" and I believe that was the trigger to all my stress. Only when I really surrendered this fear and told God come what may I shall just trust Him and His words for me to be a guard-post in this season that I truly felt a burden lifted off my chest. I decided there and then that I will see my assessment as the 3rd Co-Instruct and continue to tap on the many learning moments through it.

3-7 July was the week of my 1st Assessment. Had a very frank session with Sherman (assessor) and Nadiah. Told them my state of readiness was that of going into a 3rd Co-Instruct as there will be a few firsts for me during the week. But I will still give my best shot.

Without doubt, the entire week was purely orchestrated by God. From the assessors, weather, tidal conditions to the participants, everything was near ideal. Except for the 1 unmotivated participant whom I had a tough time dealing with on the first day, there wasn't anything I felt went seriously amiss. In fact, because of 1 less participant, I ended up having 1 less lane to dispatch for the belay school and height activity. Haha....blessing in disguise? Maybe :)

Everyday I awoke to the day with a deep and immense sense of peace, which wasn't so evident in the last few courses. It was also the 1st week when we commenced the 40days fast & prayer. I felt led to fast coffee as it was the first thing I turned to for an energy booster to kick-start the day. Instead, to allow the Holy Spirit to be my energy booster.

His presence was definitely tangible.

The result of my assessment: PASSED!

I was so relieved and all those bottled anxieties and months of uncertainties just vanished almost instantly.

The most pleasant surprise was that Sherman was also a believer and his congratulatory message to me included Matt 5:16 - "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven."
 
Words indeed.

30th Jul - 3 Aug: my 1st solo
13th - 17th Aug: 2nd solo
Interestingly, my first 2 solo courses involved PHSS and I don't think it was a coincidence. It was all in His good timing. Something I would not have forsaw or perceived.


3rd - 7th Sept: 3rd solo
A very magical group whom I will fondly remember for a long time. Their sharings & notes of appreciation were akin to my Teachers' Day gifts that were missing for the first time this year.

A journey that took me almost 10years. Very surreal at times to know that I'm finally an Instructor with OBS. No doubt His ways are higher than mine and His thoughts aren't mine.

Looking forward to more Spirit-led encounters with both colleagues & participants in this brand new adventure I've embarked on.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

Sitting down in front of the computer and listening to 'All The Earth' for the 10th time. Its Anais's off day and we have been trying to upload our pictures onto Facebook. I've got my Day 1 up but poor Ana, still trying to get hers up! Have been in Cambodia for 5 days and returning to Singapore on thursday. Previously, time seem to snail by but as I browsed through the pictures taken of the past few days, I realised that its not that slow after all. Coming to Cambodia this time was different. Was supposed to lead a team to LIA but ended up not because of lack of preparation time and inadequate response. Anyhow, I just felt I should make a personal trip up to see for myself the work at LIA and sense what God is doing in this land. Prior to the trip, I've been reading about Cambodia's news and they just appear everyday in the papers. Well it can't be more clear than this so I went. Followed Anais as she goes to and fro the b oys' & girls' home to t

Breather

Back from a Sec 3 level camp in JB, Tanjung Piai. Thought I could have the week's off to clear my brain's cache and prepare my lesson plans but alas...I'm down for ODAC camp and sec 4s' oral exam mock practice! When can I have my breather???? Sometimes I wonder whether returning to a familiar place is good for me after all. I'm like on the 'Wanted' list for this committee, that committee, this event, that event etc. Not that I'm popular or high-in-demand, its just that I'm nicely available. I'm not usually mindful of taking on responsibilities. Its just that during these 10 weeks, I reckon is a crucial component of my NIE understudy and I am not wanting to settle for something less in my planning (although i really hate lesson plannings!). But I'm so stretched! I feel like screaming: " GIVE ME MY SPACE!" To say the least, I'm feeling stressed. Most unfortunately, I'm not given the option to say 'No'. Not until I get

Eat....Laugh....Be Merry!

Anais and myself finally satisfied our craving for chilli crab...after 2 weeks! YESSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.........:) happy happy! Together with Ben, Brian and my sis, we headed to Sembawang to indulge in some seafood delicacies that included huge cereal prawns and stingray. It was also a form of celebration for Anais who graduated not too long ago! You bet we were so stuffed after that! Anais still wanted ice-cream after the meal but we were already max. out in terms of stomach's space and capacity. Yummy food was of course the highlight but what was more memorable was the company. First time hanging out with Ben and Brian and it turned out to be a hilarious time! Good food eaten with 'happening' people makes it even more tasty. I treasured this time of fellowshipping as I got to see a different side of people and getting to know them better. More of such makan sessions is good for bonding! Singaporean leh..:) From left: Ben, Jasmine (sis), me, Anais and Brian Happy we went, tota