Skip to main content

Grace's Travels

This holiday has got to be the busiest ever. 3 destinations in 2 months. Almost back-to-back trips. Ask and you shall receive; I think I got more than I asked for! Nevertheless, I had my travel bug satisfied, for sure.


First being the Mt K.expedition, which was really one kick-ass trip. My kind of thing I would say and I'm looking forward to the next. Nepal is currently top on my list of must-go-trekking destinations. Everyday I stare at my trekking boots, jacket and backpack and I can't stop fantasizing. Hopefully it will become a reality in 2011.

Then to Cambodia. I finally got to lead a team, which I did not manage to do last June. Led by 2 working adults whose timing was just absolutely wonky. It was a journey of simple faith and grace. Everyday things just fell in place, without much fretting and at the end of it all, we are convinced that obedience is all that is needed to see God's purposes and plans come to fruition. I am glad I took up the challenge of leading this team even though I know my schedule would be jam-packed.





It was good to be able to see the little ones again. I remember most of them but not all of them remember me from a year ago and there were some new faces. Nonetheless, they took to us well and within minutes of our arrival, many of us connected with the kids. Also catching up with our Cambodian friends and to know that they are still so steadfast really warms my heart. They have been significant in connecting us to the kids and land.

Top: Little Joshua; Bottom: Issac

They have an unspoken brotherly affection. Not related by blood but very much close.



Below: Bow and Hock.


A year on and they are still best of friends. Some ties really can never be broken.



To wrap up my last week of official break, I headed for Taiwan again. This time with my aunt who wanted a getaway after 2 years of no travelling, having to care for my gramps. As much as I was reluctant since I just went in June, I gave in as I know it would be a good break for her. Visited more or less the same places but had a few new additions that I didn't manage to see the last time.



Overall, it was a nice change as I stayed in lavish hotels with hot spring facilities, jacuzzi bath-tubs and super comfortable beds that allowed me to catch up some much awaited sleep. Good aunt-niece time though our travelling style and preferences are very much different. At times I was rather short and impatient as I never did free-and-easy with her before and she has sooooo many demands! But we survived.


@ our 1st night hotel stay (Sweet Me Hot Spring Resort).

The hot spring bath just in our bathroom. I went to the public one leaving my aunt to savor the privacy and luxury of having the whole 'spring' to herself.


At Taroko Gorge






The whole-day rain was a dampener. As such the view of Sun Moon Lake was totally marred! A waste considering we travelled for almost 4 hours through windy mountainous roads. Bleah.



At the Taipei International Flora Exhibition.
Think the Rainbow Collection was the best of all. I am no flower enthusiast!


My prized possessions! I returned to Raohe Night Market with a vengence this time. Bought 3 1000-piece puzzles coz the last time I didn't buy! No regrets this time.


All good things must come to an end. And so this is the brief of Grace's 2010 Travel Tales. What will 2011 entail? Let's wait and see. Ciaoz.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

Sitting down in front of the computer and listening to 'All The Earth' for the 10th time. Its Anais's off day and we have been trying to upload our pictures onto Facebook. I've got my Day 1 up but poor Ana, still trying to get hers up! Have been in Cambodia for 5 days and returning to Singapore on thursday. Previously, time seem to snail by but as I browsed through the pictures taken of the past few days, I realised that its not that slow after all. Coming to Cambodia this time was different. Was supposed to lead a team to LIA but ended up not because of lack of preparation time and inadequate response. Anyhow, I just felt I should make a personal trip up to see for myself the work at LIA and sense what God is doing in this land. Prior to the trip, I've been reading about Cambodia's news and they just appear everyday in the papers. Well it can't be more clear than this so I went. Followed Anais as she goes to and fro the b oys' & girls' home to t

Breather

Back from a Sec 3 level camp in JB, Tanjung Piai. Thought I could have the week's off to clear my brain's cache and prepare my lesson plans but alas...I'm down for ODAC camp and sec 4s' oral exam mock practice! When can I have my breather???? Sometimes I wonder whether returning to a familiar place is good for me after all. I'm like on the 'Wanted' list for this committee, that committee, this event, that event etc. Not that I'm popular or high-in-demand, its just that I'm nicely available. I'm not usually mindful of taking on responsibilities. Its just that during these 10 weeks, I reckon is a crucial component of my NIE understudy and I am not wanting to settle for something less in my planning (although i really hate lesson plannings!). But I'm so stretched! I feel like screaming: " GIVE ME MY SPACE!" To say the least, I'm feeling stressed. Most unfortunately, I'm not given the option to say 'No'. Not until I get

Eat....Laugh....Be Merry!

Anais and myself finally satisfied our craving for chilli crab...after 2 weeks! YESSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.........:) happy happy! Together with Ben, Brian and my sis, we headed to Sembawang to indulge in some seafood delicacies that included huge cereal prawns and stingray. It was also a form of celebration for Anais who graduated not too long ago! You bet we were so stuffed after that! Anais still wanted ice-cream after the meal but we were already max. out in terms of stomach's space and capacity. Yummy food was of course the highlight but what was more memorable was the company. First time hanging out with Ben and Brian and it turned out to be a hilarious time! Good food eaten with 'happening' people makes it even more tasty. I treasured this time of fellowshipping as I got to see a different side of people and getting to know them better. More of such makan sessions is good for bonding! Singaporean leh..:) From left: Ben, Jasmine (sis), me, Anais and Brian Happy we went, tota