Skip to main content

Checking In

My last entry was Oct 17!!! A month ago! Well, not difficult to figure out why coz strangely, I am found to be busier during the hollies than any other time. Beats me too.

Looking back, November was filled with ODAC (my CCA) activities. 1 week for our Round-Island-Trek-Expeditions (RITES) and the following week to Kota Kinabalu for our Mt K. trek expedition. Before I could fully rest from one activity, the next comes along. Did I mention that in between these 2, I had to attend a 3days EL course? This pretty summed up my November.

Some thoughts ran through my head as the Mt K expedition came to an end. My last (painful) trek was some 10 years ago with my OAC mates in TJ. To date, that would have to be the most memorable expedition as it kick-started my interest for the great outdoors and ever since, it made me the adrenaline junkie I am now. Then, I was a student being led by my seniors. This time round, I brought my students and the huge sense of responsibility that fell on me was more stretching than having to make the summit. Nevertheless, it will be yet another trek to add to my outdoor adventures!

During our final debrief, I shared with the group on my highlight of the trip. It was a simple yet overwhelming moment personally. I was standing on the steep granite rock-face (after the almost 6hrs ascent) and what surrounded me was just pure beauty. Mountain ranges, fluffly white clouds contrasted against the blue skyline, glorious sunlight shining down and the absence of people just accentuated the serenity and magnificence of nature and the outdoors. I will never forget that moment as I stood still to take in as much of what I saw. I did not want to rush the descend as there was just too much to simply ignore.

The break of dawn. Not nearing the summit yet but still got to see the splendor of it all.

Finally at the summit and was preparing to make the descent.

A pity we could not stay up there for too long.




There and then, I felt privileged to be witnessing how wonderful creation is and that I am able to be exploring so much of its greatness in my lifetime. It was a eureka moment and that realisation reminded me once again that there is just so much more to life than just seeking temporal enjoyment from frivolous thrills and spills. In a nutshell, it was a life-lesson that can never be covered in books and examinations.

My legs are still aching from the many hours of up-and-down the highest mountain in Southeast Asia but will I say yes to yet another trek? The answer is pretty obvious :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

Sitting down in front of the computer and listening to 'All The Earth' for the 10th time. Its Anais's off day and we have been trying to upload our pictures onto Facebook. I've got my Day 1 up but poor Ana, still trying to get hers up! Have been in Cambodia for 5 days and returning to Singapore on thursday. Previously, time seem to snail by but as I browsed through the pictures taken of the past few days, I realised that its not that slow after all. Coming to Cambodia this time was different. Was supposed to lead a team to LIA but ended up not because of lack of preparation time and inadequate response. Anyhow, I just felt I should make a personal trip up to see for myself the work at LIA and sense what God is doing in this land. Prior to the trip, I've been reading about Cambodia's news and they just appear everyday in the papers. Well it can't be more clear than this so I went. Followed Anais as she goes to and fro the b oys' & girls' home to t

Breather

Back from a Sec 3 level camp in JB, Tanjung Piai. Thought I could have the week's off to clear my brain's cache and prepare my lesson plans but alas...I'm down for ODAC camp and sec 4s' oral exam mock practice! When can I have my breather???? Sometimes I wonder whether returning to a familiar place is good for me after all. I'm like on the 'Wanted' list for this committee, that committee, this event, that event etc. Not that I'm popular or high-in-demand, its just that I'm nicely available. I'm not usually mindful of taking on responsibilities. Its just that during these 10 weeks, I reckon is a crucial component of my NIE understudy and I am not wanting to settle for something less in my planning (although i really hate lesson plannings!). But I'm so stretched! I feel like screaming: " GIVE ME MY SPACE!" To say the least, I'm feeling stressed. Most unfortunately, I'm not given the option to say 'No'. Not until I get

Eat....Laugh....Be Merry!

Anais and myself finally satisfied our craving for chilli crab...after 2 weeks! YESSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.........:) happy happy! Together with Ben, Brian and my sis, we headed to Sembawang to indulge in some seafood delicacies that included huge cereal prawns and stingray. It was also a form of celebration for Anais who graduated not too long ago! You bet we were so stuffed after that! Anais still wanted ice-cream after the meal but we were already max. out in terms of stomach's space and capacity. Yummy food was of course the highlight but what was more memorable was the company. First time hanging out with Ben and Brian and it turned out to be a hilarious time! Good food eaten with 'happening' people makes it even more tasty. I treasured this time of fellowshipping as I got to see a different side of people and getting to know them better. More of such makan sessions is good for bonding! Singaporean leh..:) From left: Ben, Jasmine (sis), me, Anais and Brian Happy we went, tota