Skip to main content

Food and The City

Just returned from a 3days-2nights getaway in KL with the girls. At long last, we finally got our asses out of Singapore to somewhere although it was far from our original intention of Greece! In the words of Joani, " How the mighty has fallen". Truly truly.

Nonetheless, it was fantastic! Great company (a given!), great food, great shopping, great conversations, great jokes and adventures! With the 3 of us together, it will be purely HILARIOUS FUN! And boy, we were treated to non-stop laughters from Day 1.

As the title suggests, this blog will feature some of the awesome yummies that we chanced upon and they were reward for our epic walks for our time spent in KL!


Our 1st stop in KL for our dinner upon arrival.

The whole street was lined with Turkish restaurants and we were the only Asians amongst the Arabs! And yes Addie bore the brunt of the many death stares! But the food that came just sealed our first night very well. Due to my immense hunger then, I did not capture every dish. Will update when I get the rest from the girls.


Entree: Fresh mushroom and oyster soup & Elfus salad. (the name of the salad is probably wrong but it is something like that!)

The soup was tasteful and does not leave one to feel ge-lat after a few spoonfuls. The freshness of the mushroom and oysters was left lingering in our mouths.

The salad was something different. It has this tanginess to it and the greens and condiments were well-mixed.

Day 2 began with a hearty breakfast @ good ole' Old Town, which can be found in Singapore but for our dear halal friend, we made a trip down. The coffee was simply sedap and awakening to say the least. We needed our brekkie for our loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg walk to KLCC in the sweltering heat!



So great to find the non-existent A&W in KLCC. It was timely as we were rather beat from the walk and heat. The root beer float just had us forget our tiredness for a brief moment.

Joani had her coney dog which stayed in her tummy for the entire day! But that did not stop her from eating after!



Unintentionally, we spent almost the whole afternoon browsing the shops in KLCC. We may not have bought alot but we sure ate much. Before we head for the Little Penang Kafe, we had some traditional Malaysian kuehs kuehs. Again pictures are with the girls. I was too caught up in having the first bite into those little delights!


@ Little Penang Kafe : Assam laksa, Penang hokkien mee and chendol.


The assam laksa had abit of an acquired taste with the presence of sardine, which did not really sit well with me but the souriness and spice gave a tantalising tinge to it.


The hokkien mee was pretty so-so. Nothing fantastic about it though the broth was rather tasty.


The chendol gets my vote! After all it was one of the cravings I had for the day. And I loved every drop of it. I am no chendol fan back home but this particular one left a different taste in me. It was not very coconutty and the gula-melaka really added the punch to this all popular dessert amongst the locals. I wished I could pack a bowl for my grandpop who loves chendol!

A pity I did not have my goreng pisang to accompany it.




Then it was time for dinner! It was almost 8.30pm after our epic walk from malls-to-malls! Our legs were almost jellified but we found strength in KL's very own glutton street located just opposite our Republica Inn Hotel.


I was feeling bitchy by then so the 2 did the orders! They did a good job!



Thai mango salad, seafood beehoon, butter prawn and clams








The aftermath. And boy we were stuffed! The mango salad kinda set my tummy on fire with the generous serving of the feisty chilli padis and that had me threw in the white towel earlier than expected.

The walking and feasting needless to say led us to lullaby land pretty soon and we crashed.



Our last day began with a simple American breakfast, which Joani and me were craving for. Nothing spectacular but good enough to start our engine. A pity the coffee was very weak and it marked our downfall for our next epic journey to Petaling Street aka Chinatown.


The dinner before we head for airport consisted of penang kuey teow fishball soup, wanton mee, bak kut teh and refreshing young coconut. Addie finally ate her Subway sandwich so Joani and me indulged in our bak kut teh.

The street food we had tasted the best if you ask me. Perhaps the extra ingredients of exhaust fumes, human's perspiration and dusty air were more overwhelming than any ajinomoto that could have been added. Alas, we were all gastronomically appeased and we left for dear Singapore where its Work and the City again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

Sitting down in front of the computer and listening to 'All The Earth' for the 10th time. Its Anais's off day and we have been trying to upload our pictures onto Facebook. I've got my Day 1 up but poor Ana, still trying to get hers up! Have been in Cambodia for 5 days and returning to Singapore on thursday. Previously, time seem to snail by but as I browsed through the pictures taken of the past few days, I realised that its not that slow after all. Coming to Cambodia this time was different. Was supposed to lead a team to LIA but ended up not because of lack of preparation time and inadequate response. Anyhow, I just felt I should make a personal trip up to see for myself the work at LIA and sense what God is doing in this land. Prior to the trip, I've been reading about Cambodia's news and they just appear everyday in the papers. Well it can't be more clear than this so I went. Followed Anais as she goes to and fro the b oys' & girls' home to t

Breather

Back from a Sec 3 level camp in JB, Tanjung Piai. Thought I could have the week's off to clear my brain's cache and prepare my lesson plans but alas...I'm down for ODAC camp and sec 4s' oral exam mock practice! When can I have my breather???? Sometimes I wonder whether returning to a familiar place is good for me after all. I'm like on the 'Wanted' list for this committee, that committee, this event, that event etc. Not that I'm popular or high-in-demand, its just that I'm nicely available. I'm not usually mindful of taking on responsibilities. Its just that during these 10 weeks, I reckon is a crucial component of my NIE understudy and I am not wanting to settle for something less in my planning (although i really hate lesson plannings!). But I'm so stretched! I feel like screaming: " GIVE ME MY SPACE!" To say the least, I'm feeling stressed. Most unfortunately, I'm not given the option to say 'No'. Not until I get

Eat....Laugh....Be Merry!

Anais and myself finally satisfied our craving for chilli crab...after 2 weeks! YESSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.........:) happy happy! Together with Ben, Brian and my sis, we headed to Sembawang to indulge in some seafood delicacies that included huge cereal prawns and stingray. It was also a form of celebration for Anais who graduated not too long ago! You bet we were so stuffed after that! Anais still wanted ice-cream after the meal but we were already max. out in terms of stomach's space and capacity. Yummy food was of course the highlight but what was more memorable was the company. First time hanging out with Ben and Brian and it turned out to be a hilarious time! Good food eaten with 'happening' people makes it even more tasty. I treasured this time of fellowshipping as I got to see a different side of people and getting to know them better. More of such makan sessions is good for bonding! Singaporean leh..:) From left: Ben, Jasmine (sis), me, Anais and Brian Happy we went, tota