Skip to main content

Dive @ Dayang







A weekend I will forever hold close to my heart.


My first dive trip after 7 years. Since my open waters experience, I thought my affinity with diving came to an end. Never would I expect to see myself in a wet suit, rigged up with the dive equipment and making the descent into the deep blue sea again. But I did.


Before the trip, I was having tons of second thoughts and seriously considered backing out despite the assurances of my friends, one of whom is a dive master himself! The first experience really freaked me out that I had zilch confidence to give it another shot. Boy..the amount of trepeditions and fears that hit me like big waves was unimaginable. I don't know what came over me to even agree to go for this one in the first place. And it was for an advanced diver course! Its totally beyond me!


Having gone and come back, it is all so surreal to me. I had a more positive feeling for this trip as compared to the first one and it turned out to be a really good one. I had my fair share of struggles (mostly psychological) but with supportive buddies and conducive learning environment, I managed to overcome my irrationalities and it's really a personal achievement that its so priceless.

My achievements and the obstacles that preceded them include:

1. Check out dive (11.5m) @ Dayang House Reef

- had problem descending
- almost hit the boat that was above me until Han spotted me


2. 1st Adventure Boat Dive (25.3m) @ Pulau Lang

- struggled to descend again; kept wanting to surface a few times
- remembered panicking until Han came to guide me down slowly
- the initial was tough but it got smoother along the way


3. Peak Performance Adventure Dive (12.5m) @ Crocodile Rock

- made to hover, clear mask and deploy the safety 'sausage'
- my open waters basics were being put to the test and they were being re-learnt in this dive


4. Night dive (12.5m)

- navigation in the dark!
- got lost with Bee, my buddy and we kept floating several times
- the feeling of not being able to see what's around me really gripped me



5. Deep dive (37-38m) @ Rainers Rock

- a dive I almost didnt go for as I had a block in my left ear; feared that history would repeat itself
- turned out to be my favourite dive
- swam through schools of fish and it was beautiful!
- got to really appreciate the underwater marine life better this time



6. Navigation Dive
- a 2nd round of navigation practice since the night one was a flop!



7. Leisure Dive @ jetty


As you can see, it was truly a milestone for me. Through this trip, I've learnt to see diving beyond my preconceived notions and beginning to be more confident in it. Above it all, I developed a new found respect for all dive instructors out there! Its no easy feat to have so many lives in your hands! RESPECT! And am better able to appreciate the beauty that's beneath.

Sometimes I really believe that my NIE experiences are no mere coincidences. The friends I made & the relationships established all serve to be redefining who I am. Certain beliefs and fears that I might have held on to have been or are being confronted or reinforced in my 1.5 years in NIE. I will not trade these moments for anything else.

All things happen for a reason. This I'm sure.



The buddies who made all the difference!

Dayang's experience will always remind me of how I had to confront my personal fears and taking the step to overcome them, notwithstanding the crucial factor of having support from friends that played a big role in being able to do what I always thought its beyond me!

Comments

shwei lin said…
I am very proud of you that you were able to overcome your fears.I am glad u were honest with your buddies about your apprehensions.Kudos to your buddies for taking care of my gungho niece during those close shaves and thanks be to God for his protection.Are these 3 buddies the same ones who will be going with you to Australia?

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

Sitting down in front of the computer and listening to 'All The Earth' for the 10th time. Its Anais's off day and we have been trying to upload our pictures onto Facebook. I've got my Day 1 up but poor Ana, still trying to get hers up! Have been in Cambodia for 5 days and returning to Singapore on thursday. Previously, time seem to snail by but as I browsed through the pictures taken of the past few days, I realised that its not that slow after all. Coming to Cambodia this time was different. Was supposed to lead a team to LIA but ended up not because of lack of preparation time and inadequate response. Anyhow, I just felt I should make a personal trip up to see for myself the work at LIA and sense what God is doing in this land. Prior to the trip, I've been reading about Cambodia's news and they just appear everyday in the papers. Well it can't be more clear than this so I went. Followed Anais as she goes to and fro the b oys' & girls' home to t

Breather

Back from a Sec 3 level camp in JB, Tanjung Piai. Thought I could have the week's off to clear my brain's cache and prepare my lesson plans but alas...I'm down for ODAC camp and sec 4s' oral exam mock practice! When can I have my breather???? Sometimes I wonder whether returning to a familiar place is good for me after all. I'm like on the 'Wanted' list for this committee, that committee, this event, that event etc. Not that I'm popular or high-in-demand, its just that I'm nicely available. I'm not usually mindful of taking on responsibilities. Its just that during these 10 weeks, I reckon is a crucial component of my NIE understudy and I am not wanting to settle for something less in my planning (although i really hate lesson plannings!). But I'm so stretched! I feel like screaming: " GIVE ME MY SPACE!" To say the least, I'm feeling stressed. Most unfortunately, I'm not given the option to say 'No'. Not until I get

Eat....Laugh....Be Merry!

Anais and myself finally satisfied our craving for chilli crab...after 2 weeks! YESSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.........:) happy happy! Together with Ben, Brian and my sis, we headed to Sembawang to indulge in some seafood delicacies that included huge cereal prawns and stingray. It was also a form of celebration for Anais who graduated not too long ago! You bet we were so stuffed after that! Anais still wanted ice-cream after the meal but we were already max. out in terms of stomach's space and capacity. Yummy food was of course the highlight but what was more memorable was the company. First time hanging out with Ben and Brian and it turned out to be a hilarious time! Good food eaten with 'happening' people makes it even more tasty. I treasured this time of fellowshipping as I got to see a different side of people and getting to know them better. More of such makan sessions is good for bonding! Singaporean leh..:) From left: Ben, Jasmine (sis), me, Anais and Brian Happy we went, tota