Skip to main content

Perspective

Sitting down in front of the computer and listening to 'All The Earth' for the 10th time. Its Anais's off day and we have been trying to upload our pictures onto Facebook. I've got my Day 1 up but poor Ana, still trying to get hers up!

Have been in Cambodia for 5 days and returning to Singapore on thursday. Previously, time seem to snail by but as I browsed through the pictures taken of the past few days, I realised that its not that slow after all.


Coming to Cambodia this time was different. Was supposed to lead a team to LIA but ended
up not because of lack of preparation time and inadequate response. Anyhow, I just felt I should make a personal trip up to see for myself the work at LIA and sense what God is doing in this land. Prior to the trip, I've been reading about Cambodia's news and they just appear everyday in the papers. Well it can't be more clear than this so I went.

Followed Anais as she goes to and fro the b
oys' & girls' home to teach English and Bible classes. Admired her perseverance given the heat and tiring job of managing kids of a wide range of age (toddler to teenagers!). Had no problems interacting with the kids especially the boys, whom were more forthcoming than the girls and definitely more teachable.

Though my time here is rather short, I still feel a sense of satisfaction as I play, carry and interact with the kids. Many times my heart really aches when I learnt of the kids' background and its really God's love that brought Mummy Ruth here to set up LIA, without which these kids would probably still be homeless or left to die of hunger of
illnesses. Many of their parents are victims of AIDS and mostly poverty as well and I cannot imagine the pain of separation for both the parents and kids. Some kids are old enough to know that their parents do not want them and when they enter the home, they just could not stop crying and calling out for their mummy. I was speechless.

Seeing these kids and the staff at work, I realised I am blesse
d with much and shame on me for the times I have been complaining about minor things, which are often considered a luxury here. This is not an unfamiliar insight but as it hits me again, I need to be in perspective once again.



Mother and Daughter : Wee & Srey Nit
Wee is a staff at LIA and staying at the Boy's home. Very motherly and always there to learn with the boys. So mild manner and has a never say die attitide.


These little kids are considered blessed to be able to have the chance to attend school. However, many of them are already 10 but learning what a 5 year old is learning.


With Joshua & Boon Tong


What beckons these kids as they go through each day? What holds for them in the future? Only Our Heavenly Father knows. At the least now, they know that they are loved by many and most importantly, they are not orphans. Their inheritance is awaiting them. Press on kids. Many are cheering you on in this race.


Comments

Unknown said…
whoar... so touching. Sounds like a really good trip already.
YoNg quAn said…
Good job Grace! i thought it's a touristy tour you're on but it's NOT! : )
YoNg quAn said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO!! hee...just in case you didnt get my sms! - your teammate

Popular posts from this blog

Breather

Back from a Sec 3 level camp in JB, Tanjung Piai. Thought I could have the week's off to clear my brain's cache and prepare my lesson plans but alas...I'm down for ODAC camp and sec 4s' oral exam mock practice! When can I have my breather???? Sometimes I wonder whether returning to a familiar place is good for me after all. I'm like on the 'Wanted' list for this committee, that committee, this event, that event etc. Not that I'm popular or high-in-demand, its just that I'm nicely available. I'm not usually mindful of taking on responsibilities. Its just that during these 10 weeks, I reckon is a crucial component of my NIE understudy and I am not wanting to settle for something less in my planning (although i really hate lesson plannings!). But I'm so stretched! I feel like screaming: " GIVE ME MY SPACE!" To say the least, I'm feeling stressed. Most unfortunately, I'm not given the option to say 'No'. Not until I get

Eat....Laugh....Be Merry!

Anais and myself finally satisfied our craving for chilli crab...after 2 weeks! YESSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.........:) happy happy! Together with Ben, Brian and my sis, we headed to Sembawang to indulge in some seafood delicacies that included huge cereal prawns and stingray. It was also a form of celebration for Anais who graduated not too long ago! You bet we were so stuffed after that! Anais still wanted ice-cream after the meal but we were already max. out in terms of stomach's space and capacity. Yummy food was of course the highlight but what was more memorable was the company. First time hanging out with Ben and Brian and it turned out to be a hilarious time! Good food eaten with 'happening' people makes it even more tasty. I treasured this time of fellowshipping as I got to see a different side of people and getting to know them better. More of such makan sessions is good for bonding! Singaporean leh..:) From left: Ben, Jasmine (sis), me, Anais and Brian Happy we went, tota