Skip to main content

新(牛)年 快 乐!

Its the Ang Pow frenzy yet again (albiet smaller packets this year) :)

In a blink of an eye, the New Year (Chinese) is back and its time to meet up with the folks again. Somehow, the excitement to the new year is getting more 'cold' and the hype is definitely fizzling out as compared to when I was younger. Besides the shopping for new clothes, which is a MUST (esp for gals) and never a stale activity, everything else seems to be just part of the annual boring routine of visiting from house to house, meeting relatives whom I've never seen for more than twice a year and answering questions that I would very much wish I have the answers to! Having said that, I reckon this to be part and parcel of the growing up process where I begin to look beyond the surface of such festive gatherings. I guess its the part of me that is beginning to really understand that there's definitely so much more to life than just the hype of things!

GIVE ME MORE CONCRETE STUFF!

Reunion dinner this year was at my place with my mother taking over the cooking from my grandma. Grandmop is getting on in years and movements are just too slow for her to cook up the storm that she used to prepare for our dinners. I cannot help but feel a little sad yet knowing its part of life. This year's gathering is sure to be different with the passing of my eldest granduncle, whose place has always been the central meeting point. In the past, all would be present as a sign of respect but now that he's gone, I wonder if things will still be the same. I'm quite encouraged to know that some of my aunties are still trying to keep the tradition alive and the least that I can do as part of this bigger family is to support her in her effort. Afterall, we are family and some things should not change.

The new year is here and there's not much anticipation of what's to come since times are expected to be harsh during this period but this just reinforces the value of Family. It is the one thing that (should) remain hardy in all circumstances, continuing to provide shelther for those who are caught in the storm. I no longer get caught up in the hype of CNY but just feeling even more thankful for my family with each day, week, month and year. If there's no familiness, there's nothing much to celebrate.

Treasure the time spent with our families. They are worth more than the angpows we give & receive, the once-in-a-year delicacies and pretty clothes. These things can be bought again but not our families. Take this year to really love FAMILY!. May it be a bullish year for families :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

Sitting down in front of the computer and listening to 'All The Earth' for the 10th time. Its Anais's off day and we have been trying to upload our pictures onto Facebook. I've got my Day 1 up but poor Ana, still trying to get hers up! Have been in Cambodia for 5 days and returning to Singapore on thursday. Previously, time seem to snail by but as I browsed through the pictures taken of the past few days, I realised that its not that slow after all. Coming to Cambodia this time was different. Was supposed to lead a team to LIA but ended up not because of lack of preparation time and inadequate response. Anyhow, I just felt I should make a personal trip up to see for myself the work at LIA and sense what God is doing in this land. Prior to the trip, I've been reading about Cambodia's news and they just appear everyday in the papers. Well it can't be more clear than this so I went. Followed Anais as she goes to and fro the b oys' & girls' home to t

Breather

Back from a Sec 3 level camp in JB, Tanjung Piai. Thought I could have the week's off to clear my brain's cache and prepare my lesson plans but alas...I'm down for ODAC camp and sec 4s' oral exam mock practice! When can I have my breather???? Sometimes I wonder whether returning to a familiar place is good for me after all. I'm like on the 'Wanted' list for this committee, that committee, this event, that event etc. Not that I'm popular or high-in-demand, its just that I'm nicely available. I'm not usually mindful of taking on responsibilities. Its just that during these 10 weeks, I reckon is a crucial component of my NIE understudy and I am not wanting to settle for something less in my planning (although i really hate lesson plannings!). But I'm so stretched! I feel like screaming: " GIVE ME MY SPACE!" To say the least, I'm feeling stressed. Most unfortunately, I'm not given the option to say 'No'. Not until I get

Eat....Laugh....Be Merry!

Anais and myself finally satisfied our craving for chilli crab...after 2 weeks! YESSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.........:) happy happy! Together with Ben, Brian and my sis, we headed to Sembawang to indulge in some seafood delicacies that included huge cereal prawns and stingray. It was also a form of celebration for Anais who graduated not too long ago! You bet we were so stuffed after that! Anais still wanted ice-cream after the meal but we were already max. out in terms of stomach's space and capacity. Yummy food was of course the highlight but what was more memorable was the company. First time hanging out with Ben and Brian and it turned out to be a hilarious time! Good food eaten with 'happening' people makes it even more tasty. I treasured this time of fellowshipping as I got to see a different side of people and getting to know them better. More of such makan sessions is good for bonding! Singaporean leh..:) From left: Ben, Jasmine (sis), me, Anais and Brian Happy we went, tota