Skip to main content

Unexpected Returns

My last entry was during my 1st week of TP 1 and I'm now into my last week! These 5 weeks whizzed by and it has been memorable. I remembered mentioning how apprehensive I was about the practicum and somehow over the weeks, those fears and concerns became so insignificant.

While I was grappling with the school's culture, system and everything about it, I somehow still look forward to going to school everyday. God's saving grace - the new found friends. As been my belief, its always the PEOPLE who make the difference. My prayer has always been to be able to find like-minded teachers/friends/colleagues in whichever school I'm in and He answered my prayers. Faithful He has been and always will be. He never fails to bring people into my life to keep me on track and to remind me of my purpose. I can be grumbling about how yucky the school's system is but when I think of the people, happy thoughts just take over almost instantly.

*Drum Rolls......*



JIAWEN : Ever so sweet-looking and gentle.
Her gentleness somehow makes one want to be more composed and poised. No wonder her 4NT kids love her!


ALEX: 1st time working with him and it has been a pleasant experience.
He's definitely not as much of a slacker as I've imagined him to be (in NIE!). Can trust him to do his job well! Of course I discovered how ridiculously random he can be at times.
Perfect match for Colin.


WANJUN aka JOCELYN: The 'not-harmless-but harmless' blur sweetie pie.
She always says that she is more rugged and 'chor-lor' than she appears. Errr...we have our reservations but just give her the benefit of the doubt!
I'm impressed with her professionalism at her young age; always giving her best and wanting to make every ounce of effort count.



HIDAYAH: My ex-colleague at Pei Hwa. And presto...we met again but in another school! Is it a sign??? Colorful character..literally!
Never fails to brighten the room up with her stylo and eye-catching dressing. But is it a wonder...she's an Art teacher! We say she's in a world of her own at the back of the room, forever look vexed over her reflections or work!




YIRONG: She's special! Always cutting into conversations and saying the wrong things at the wrong time! Sometimes I also dont' know how to react to her response!
Anyhow, she takes alot of pride in her work and forever working on her powerpoint slides & worksheets.
Very real person. What you see is what you will get.

COLIN: I think he looks like 小町当。He tells jokes in a straight face! And his expressions so 'straight' that it never fails to crack us up. Well the kind of teacher whom you think can be bullied but when he shows his power, you'll be rudely surprised!



XIU LAN aka XIU XIU: The mummy of us all! Nope, she's not married with kids but she's so motherly its unbelievable! Her laughter ever so infectious and like me, so gregarious and 'loud'! But her heart for the kids is so pure and tender. Truly motherly and nurturing.


To celebrate their last week in the school before they head off to Wonder-NIE-Land, we headed out for a good dinner and later sweet desserts.

What can be sweeter and more satisfying than to be in the company of a group of friends who can be so real with one another; talking nonsense and serious 'state of the education' matters at the same time!

They are my unexpected returns of TP1 whom I will fondly remember and keep close to my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspective

Sitting down in front of the computer and listening to 'All The Earth' for the 10th time. Its Anais's off day and we have been trying to upload our pictures onto Facebook. I've got my Day 1 up but poor Ana, still trying to get hers up! Have been in Cambodia for 5 days and returning to Singapore on thursday. Previously, time seem to snail by but as I browsed through the pictures taken of the past few days, I realised that its not that slow after all. Coming to Cambodia this time was different. Was supposed to lead a team to LIA but ended up not because of lack of preparation time and inadequate response. Anyhow, I just felt I should make a personal trip up to see for myself the work at LIA and sense what God is doing in this land. Prior to the trip, I've been reading about Cambodia's news and they just appear everyday in the papers. Well it can't be more clear than this so I went. Followed Anais as she goes to and fro the b oys' & girls' home to t

Breather

Back from a Sec 3 level camp in JB, Tanjung Piai. Thought I could have the week's off to clear my brain's cache and prepare my lesson plans but alas...I'm down for ODAC camp and sec 4s' oral exam mock practice! When can I have my breather???? Sometimes I wonder whether returning to a familiar place is good for me after all. I'm like on the 'Wanted' list for this committee, that committee, this event, that event etc. Not that I'm popular or high-in-demand, its just that I'm nicely available. I'm not usually mindful of taking on responsibilities. Its just that during these 10 weeks, I reckon is a crucial component of my NIE understudy and I am not wanting to settle for something less in my planning (although i really hate lesson plannings!). But I'm so stretched! I feel like screaming: " GIVE ME MY SPACE!" To say the least, I'm feeling stressed. Most unfortunately, I'm not given the option to say 'No'. Not until I get

Eat....Laugh....Be Merry!

Anais and myself finally satisfied our craving for chilli crab...after 2 weeks! YESSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.........:) happy happy! Together with Ben, Brian and my sis, we headed to Sembawang to indulge in some seafood delicacies that included huge cereal prawns and stingray. It was also a form of celebration for Anais who graduated not too long ago! You bet we were so stuffed after that! Anais still wanted ice-cream after the meal but we were already max. out in terms of stomach's space and capacity. Yummy food was of course the highlight but what was more memorable was the company. First time hanging out with Ben and Brian and it turned out to be a hilarious time! Good food eaten with 'happening' people makes it even more tasty. I treasured this time of fellowshipping as I got to see a different side of people and getting to know them better. More of such makan sessions is good for bonding! Singaporean leh..:) From left: Ben, Jasmine (sis), me, Anais and Brian Happy we went, tota